To many Europeans, it is not news that Belgium is a favoured destination for medical tourists. Until recently, the country has left promotion to a handful of individual clinics and hospitals, and not thought it worthwhile to promote Belgium outside of Europe. That is now changing.
A recent seminar in Brussels “International Promotion of Belgian Medical Solutions” organized by Healthcare Belgium and UNAMEC with the support of the Federation of Enterprises in Belgium, presented Unamec and Healthcare Belgium solutions for companies in the medical sector wishing to be active internationally and shared some success stories.
Healthcare Belgium is a non-profit organisation established in 2007 by 11 top Belgian hospital groups. The organisation receives substantial support from Agfa Healthcare, Dexia Bank, the Federation of Enterprises in Belgium (VBO-FEB), the Virtual Colonoscopy Teaching Centre (VCTC) and Ion Beam Applications (IBA). The concept of Healthcare Belgium resulted from a study published by the VBO-FEB under the title "Dare & Care". The initiative focuses on a unique Belgian blend of advanced technology and medical excellence available for patients and healthcare professionals.
Healthcare Belgium's objectives are to:
• Provide information on Belgian medical services to foreign patients and healthcare providers in an ethical and coordinated way.
• Ensure that patients from abroad can rely on high-quality services at a fair price and that they are taken care of in a professional manner from the moment of their first contact until they return home.
• Foster the international development of Belgian telemedicine.
It guarantees that foreign patients will receive the same high-quality treatment and excellent service as Belgian patients at every stage. All patients are treated with courtesy and dignity and their privacy guaranteed.
The hospitals involved;
• Antwerp Hospital Network ZNA
• Antwerp University Hospital
• Brussels Europe Hospitals
• Brussels Saint-Luc University Hospital
• Brussels University Hospital
• Ghent University Hospital
• Imelda Hospital
• Leuven University Hospitals
• Monica General Hospital Antwerp
• Onze-Lieve-Vrouwziekenhuis Aalst
For Healthcare Belgium, Mondial Assistance operates an international call centre staffed by healthcare professionals. This answers any questions medical tourists may have concerning treatment in any of Healthcare Belgium's hospitals and can make appointments with doctors .The call centre takes care of many of the practical aspects of a trip to Belgium, such as accommodation and medical or personal assistance.
Healthcare Belgium patients and/or family benefit from preferred rates in a large number of hotels all over Belgium including-
• Hotel Amigo, Brussels
• B-Aparthotels:Luxury Apartments Brussels
• Hilton: Brussels & Antwerp
• Hotel Le Plaza Brussels
• Hotel Sofitel Brussels Europe
• Manos Hotels Brussels
• Marriott: Brussels & Ghent
• Martin's Hotels
• Radisson: Brussels, Antwerp & Spa
• The Dominican Brussels
Belgian hospitals are equipped with advanced technology and run by highly qualified staff. The Belgian healthcare system is well developed with a large number of specialised centres and internationally renowned doctors.
Patients from countries and regions including the Netherlands, France, Germany, the United Kingdom and the Middle East have been coming to Belgium for many years to receive medical treatment.
NOTE-individual hospitals not listed for websites as are all on the above website